Friday, December 10, 2010

Sink Wall Love

Like Mother Like Daughter is having a linky party today.  We are beautifying the wall or windowsill or whatever it is that you have behind your kitchen sink.  I love it!

Mine used to look like this:




Boring, right?  I've wanted something up there for a while now—a specific something.  But I put it off because notice I use that space for drying large flat things like cutting boards and cookie sheets.  That pretty much covers up that little wall.




I haven't been using a dish drainer lately because I find that I empty it and put away the stuff even less frequently than I get rid of this pile.  At least when I get rid of this pile, I have the option of an extra square foot of counter space, which adds up in a Chicago apartment kitchen!

Notice the towel my stuff is drying on?  Go to this post on Kitchen Flow and scroll down a ways.  Leila does the same thing!   (I'm so validated!)

Mercifully, my iPhone camera is not high-enough quality to show how dirty the wall back there actually is.  And I'm not showing you the rest of the kitchen either.  I took some photos of it though... maybe I will show them to you when I have something clean to put with them!  Let's just say that since we added child three and homeschooling a kindergartener to the mix, I've been a little out of sync with my kitchen cleanliness.

I didn't have a chance to examine the "flow" in my kitchen.  It's a little odd since our dishes are stored in the dining room in the china cabinet to leave space in the kitchen cabinets for food since our pantry is our utility laundry closet.  (Whew!  That was a long sentence.)  And there's only one way the dishes can be stacked and flow which is not very efficient because of the placement of the stove and dishwasher.  But it's fine.  This is the most counter space I've ever had!  (Not showing you the rest of it, though, remember?)

I didn't even have a chance to clean the wall.  Shame on me, I suppose.

Instead, I made one change.  Just one!


 
OK.  Maybe that counts as two.  Although, I'm not sure that anyone else will put my cutting boards up there.  In fact, I think my husband actually moved one down from up there thinking it was probably an accident that someone balanced it up there and that it would fall if not moved.

The important change is that little framed Bible verse.  For a long time now, I've wanted to have various verses posted around my home that apply to the task at hand.  It's similar to what I've seen when our Orthodox priests vest.  For each piece they put on, a Bible verse (usually a Psalm verse) is prayed.  Naturally, the psalm that comes to mind when I am at the sink is this:

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
~KJV, Psalm 51/50

I spent a little time reformatting a file I'd already made for another framed verse on the opposite wall.  I think I posted it here somewhere, but I can't find it, so I can't link to it (I think it's still in draft).

This is what I came up with:


(To save, click on the image to enlarge it, then either click and drag it into a document and print, or right-click and save the image and then insert into a document.)

I printed it, trimmed it, and framed it with an inexpensive black IKEA frame.  If you like it, feel free to follow the instructions above and use it!  I'd like to come up with a few more of these for other places in the house.  It's one way I can remind myself to pray throughout the day, especially during the less-than-exciting household tasks.

Thanks to Leila for the nudge to get this up there!  Go visit her post and see some more Sink Wall Love or join in yourself!

12 comments:

  1. Looks great! It's amazing that straightening such a small area can make such a mental difference. That reminds me - I've got to go do my dresser now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notice I didn't even really straighten. I just added something pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Patty. I'm blessed to have a window above my sink, however, the bay windowcill is the most cluttered part of my kitchen. Maybe one of these day's I'll fix it up pretty. Maybe then I'll be inspired to keep up on the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks nice. You chose a great verse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to do the same thing throughout the house. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that verse, Patty. And I love the blackground you found for it--very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie, I bet you too have the Keith Greene (?) song we used to sing at Harbor and Point running through your head?

    As for the background, thank my Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, Patty! And for the record a) I also use that towel-and-pile method for drying dishes (all the cool kids do, I think) and b) I get the Keith Green song in my head Every Time I encounted those verses. Every single time. Guess I'll go clean off my window...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!! I love the way the cutting boards look up there! This moving things around thing..it amazes me how much it can change a room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of a Bible verse there, and that Psalm is perfect.

    I could see a nail for that one cutting board...and maybe someone could drill a hole in the other for you?

    You know how I love putting things up on nails ;)

    Good for you to reclaim that space. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely!! I really love what you did! How beautiful! And such a good verse...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks beautiful! That verse is very appropriate and inspiring, too :)

    Linking up from Like Mother, Like Daughter.

    Have a lovely week, Tamara

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...